Volumio 2 runs out of the box on my old Raspberry Pi 2 model B using an external USB DAC (in my case, Behringer UCA222). As a next step, I wanted to add a small 3.5 inch display that connects to the 26 GPIO pins of my Pi 2 B.
The setup of the 3.5" LCD screen is a bit tougher than expected, but after a lot of googling and trial&error I got the LCD touchscreen fully working with Volumio 2. It seems like the same display is sold under different brands.
These are the steps to get the display working:
- get Volumio running on your Raspberry Pi:
- install and activate Volumio on an SD card: follow the excellent guide in https://volumio.org/get-started/
- add an empty ssh file to the /boot partition on the SD card
- run the ssh daemon by going to http://volumio.local/dev/
- install and activate the Touch Plugin
- connect to your Raspberry Pi CLI through ssh (username: volumio; password: volumio) and execute the following commands
- download the display driver:
git clone https://github.com/goodtft/LCD-show
- run these few commands (handpicked from the LCD35-show script -- do NOT run the script!):
sudo mkdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
sudo cp ./usr/tft35a-overlay.dtb /boot/overlays/
sudo cp ./usr/tft35a-overlay.dtb /boot/overlays/tft35a.dtbo
sudo cp -rf ./usr/99-calibration.conf-35 /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-calibration.conf
sudo cp -rf ./usr/99-fbturbo.conf /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/
- modify the 99-calibration.conf file and add the Driver "evdev" option:
- sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-calibration.conf
- the file should be:
MatchProduct "ADS7846 Touchscreen"
Option "Calibration" "56 4019 3893 120"
Option "SwapAxes" "1"
- save the file (Control-X)
- install missing packages:
- sudo apt update
- sudo apt install lightdm
- sudo apt install xserver-xorg-input-evdev
After a reboot, everything works fine :).
- use evdev driver: https://github.com/notro/fbtft/issues/445#issuecomment-354714529